The Castle, Richmond, North Yorkshire
The remains of Richmond Castle dominate the town of Richmond. The castle dates from the 11th to 14th centuries. It was an enclosure castle, built in c1070-1100 AD. Its original form was triangular with a massive stone wall on two sides. The third side was protected by the drop to the River Swale and possibly a timber palisade. Dominating the castle is the square keep. It is 30.6 metres high and was built in the second half of the 12th century. In the First and Second World War the castle was used as a prison. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010).