Gainsborough Old Hall, Gainsborough, Lincolnshire
The Old Hall was originally a medieval timber framed house. It was probably built between 1464 and 1484 for Sir Thomas Burgh. The house was altered in Tudor times when the kitchen became part of the main house and most of the walls were faced in brick. Henry VIII visited the house. Katherine Howard, his third wife, was accused of "indiscretions" at Gainsborough and elsewhere and was executed. The Methodist preacher John Wesley preached in the great hall in 1759, 1761 and 1764. Between 1750 and and 1850 the house had a variety of uses, including those of linen factory, theatre, public house, mechanics' institute, ballroom, masonic temple, auction house and church. Restoration work was carried out from 1850 and the house was further restored between 1982-4. It is now in the care of English Heritage (2011).