Priory Gateway, Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire
This was the main entrance to the Priory. It was built circa 1388 when Richard II licensed the Prior to crenellate. It was restored in the 1930s and has been used as a museum. Bridlington Priory was founded in around 1113 by Walter de Gant, Lord of the Manor of Hunmanby, for Augustinian Canons Regular. William Wood, the last Prior, was one of the leaders of the Pilgrimage of Grace in 1536. He was imprisoned in the Tower of London. He was eventually tried and executed at Tyburn in 1537. The Priory was dissolved on May 23rd 1537. In the space of a few short years most of the great building had been destroyed. The nave survived to serve as the Parish Church, together with the Bayle or gatehouse which housed a school. Much of the stonework was used to repair local houses and the harbour.