The Barracks, South Road, Lancaster, Lancashire

The Barracks, South Road, Lancaster, Lancashire
Photograph taken 16 March 2003 © Mr Charles Satterly LRPS. Source Historic England Archive ref: 383329

This military barracks, armoury and store were built in 1854. They were built for the First Royal Lancashire Militia, following the Militia Reform Act (1852). This Act required the county to build secure quarters to act as a muster point for the new militia regiment. The regiment moved to Bowerham Barracks in 1881.

Location

Lancashire Lancaster

Period

Victorian (1837 - 1901)

Tags

military army barracks ammunition armoury defence Victorian (1837 - 1901)