The Hall, Seaton Delaval, Northumberland
This country house was built in 1718-29 by Sir John Vanbrugh for Admiral George Delaval. It is built in a baroque style of architecture. Both Vanburgh and Admiral Delaval died before the building was completed. The west wing was damaged by fire in 1752 but was restored in 1814-15 by John Dobson. The main block was also gutted by fire in 1822. Although it was reroofed it remained largely an empty shell.