The Keep, Palace Green, Durham

The Keep, Palace Green, Durham
Photograph taken 24 February 2001 © Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB. Source Historic England Archive ref: 110412

The Keep is part of University College and is used as study bedrooms. It was built in 1345-81 for Bishop Hatfield and rebuilt in 1839-40 by Salvin, for the University. It sits on top of the original motte or mound.

Location

Durham Durham

Period

Medieval (Middle Ages) (1066 - 1484)

Tags

castle defence keep motte university victorian (1837 - 1901) medieval (1066 - 1484)