The Old School, Cambridge Road, Thundridge, Hertfordshire

This school was opened in 1894 as an Infants School. It is unusual as it is made from Hitch's patent bricks. Caleb Hitch of Ware patented his bricks in 1828. They had a system of interlocking to use less mortar and give structural strength. Their use is confined to the Ware district. This building is the best surviving example of the varied uses of Hitch's bricks in this area.


Hertfordshire Thundridge


Georgian (1714 - 1836)


school architecture brick Georgian (1714 - 1836)