The Side, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear
Looking west along the Side in Newcastle showing the railway arch high above the street. It shows how the railway cut into the town through existing streets and buildings. Two railway companies originally came into the town: the York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway (YN&BR) and the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway (N&CR). The YN&BR merged with other companies in 1854 to form the North Eastern Railway (NER), which later absorbed the N&CR in 1862. The main station was constructed in collaboration with Robert Stephenson (also responsible for the High Level Bridge) between 1845 and 1850.