The Tolhouse, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

The Tolhouse, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Photograph taken 1880-1930 © Reproduced by permission of Historic England Archive ref: op05168

Looking along Tolhouse Street with The Tolhouse free public library on the left in the foreground and showing people in the street. It was built as a merchant's fortified house in c1150. It was later used as the medieval Town Hall, Court of Justice and prison as well as the place for the receipt of port dues (taxes). By 1552 it was Corporation property and continued in use until 1882 when the new Town Hall was built. In 1883, after the Corporation moved to the new Town Hall, the prison buildings west of the Tolhouse were demolished and the building was restored. It was used as a museum and library from the 1880s onwards.

Location

Norfolk Great Yarmouth

Period

Victorian (1837 - 1901)

Tags

house toll jail fortified court police station office hall medieval (1066 - 1484) people